Friday, January 18, 2013

Double Recipe Test: Cupcake Pizzas and Pizza Dough

This is a meta-Pinterest blog post. This recipe for cupcake pizzas is from a food and craft blog called All My Great Ideas Are Really From Pinterest.


The pin I used had a caption saying that cupcake tins would work as well as muffin tins. The recipe calls for Pillsbury refrigerated pizza dough, and just "pizza sauce."

I wanted to do a homemade dough so I could use partly whole wheat flour. So I used the dough recipe from this Pizza Hut Personal Pizzas from cdkitchen. It gets pinned a lot too.


The cupcake pizza recipe was pretty obvious: layer dough, sauce, cheese, toppings, and bake.

The dough recipe was also easy: mix ingredients, knead, divide into portions, let rise in the pan, top and bake.  I deviated a bit from the recipe, but nothing to major. I used half whole wheat flour and I skipped the powdered milk. I also skipped the NINE OUNCES of oil. That's just waaaaay too much.

Anyway, I used cupcake tins, and here's what my risen dough looked like:


The recipe made a LOT of dough. Perhaps more than I needed? This is how they looked topped:


As you can see, I worked in some veggies. I used Classico fire-roasted tomato pizza sauce and regular old mozzarella. At this point, I was getting concerned about the dough-to-topping ratio. They came out of the oven looking like this:


You can see the problem: They look like dough muffins topped with a bit of cheese. Breaking one open confirmed it.


I guess if you used the more-than-a-cup of oil that the dough recipe called for, or bigger muffin or cake tins, or just a smaller amount of dough per cup, this might taste good. But this version was way too bread-y, and didn't really seem like a satisfying dinner. It was like eating a half loaf of bread with a little tomato sauce and cheese. The guys were not pleased.


I don't think I'll be making these again. They don't offer any improvement over plain old round pizza in a pizza pan.


Verdict: Pizza night should be a treat, and these aren't really all that special.


No comments:

Post a Comment