Monday, February 25, 2013

Double Recipe Test: Nutella French Toast and Nutella Hot Chocolate

Nutella's a big Pinterest favorite, for obvious reasons. I'm a huge fan of Nutella, and have tried a couple of pinned recipes recently.

First, this Nutella French Toast recipe from The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife.


Second, Nutella Hot Chocolate from The Hungry Housewife.


I didn't make these to serve together - that would be way too much.

For the french toast, I used frozen defrosted raspberries - winter in Alaska means no good fresh strawberries. It was a very easy variation on regular old french toast. Just make a Nutella sandwich before you dip the bread into the egg mixture.  I used the whole grain "white" style bread.



And of course, it was delicious. It was extremely sweet, though - the kind of breakfast where you're hungry again in an hour. I think it would be far better as a dessert, perhaps as part of a brunch buffet. Here's what mine looked like.



The Nutella cocoa recipe is also very easy. Just whisk together Nutella, a tablespoon of cocoa powder, skim milk, and a pinch of salt. Heat on the stove top. The original recipe includes homemade whipped cream, but I skipped that part.

In case you were wondering what a cup of cocoa looks like:



It was good. Of course. But I don't think it was a whole lot better than stovetop cocoa made with cocoa powder/sugar/milk, especially if you spice it up your standard stovetop recipe with some cinnamon, pinch of cayenne, etc.

Verdict: I'd call these successful, but I still think the best use for Nutella is spread on a warm crepe or piece of good French bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment