Tuesday, February 12, 2013

"Great-Grandma's" Pasta Sauce

Apparently, spaghetti sauce is controversial. TableForTwo posted a recipe for Great Grandma's Pasta Sauce, which earned her lots of pins and lots of cranky comments about what is and isn't authentic.

Here's the image that's all over Pinterest:


Dried oregano, garlic powder... Mario Batali it ain't. But I thought it might taste OK, so I gave it a try. It's a pretty basic recipe - saute meat and garlic, add tomato stuff, simmer forever.

I followed it pretty closely, except that I threw in some mushrooms and chopped bell pepper to up the veggie content a bit.

It came out looking pretty good.


The taste, though, was just OK. It was quite sweet, and had a bit of a canned tomato flavor to it. I think I'll stick to my standby Cook's Illustrated recipe for a tomato-based pasta sauce.

Verdict: Not terrible, but there are better recipes out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment