Monday, January 28, 2013

30-Minute Meals: Coconut Shrimp Curry

Mel's Kitchen Cafe has a big list of 30-minute meals (39 of them, in fact). This is the first in a series testing them.

The image I see pinned all the time is this one:


I made the Coconut Shrimp Curry, pictured here from Mel's.


The recipe is really simple. Just saute aromatics (onion, garlic, ginger, etc.), add canned tomatoes and cook for a few minutes. Add coconut milk and some shrimp you've marinated. Cook till the shrimp are done, add some cilantro, serve over rice.

I followed the recipe pretty much as written, though I added some red bell pepper and broccoli. It looked like this:


I served it over brown rice.


It was fantastic. Good enough for company, and extremely easy. It's going to be a weeknight go-to, for sure. I did use full-fat coconut milk, so I'm sure that part of the appeal was the delicious fat content. But I think it would still be pretty darned good with the reduced fat coconut milk.

It's also a nice kid-friendly curry - not too spicy (you can vary that, obviously), but very flavorful.

Verdict: Mel's is 1 for 1 with me!

Update: I tried this with light coconut milk, and it wasn't NEARLY as good. Use the full fat stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment