Thursday, January 3, 2013

Double Recipe Test: Brisket and Yeast Rolls

The 30-minute yeast roll recipe from Your Homebased Mom gets a lot of repins, and crock pot brisket is a perennial favorite too. I used this food.com recipe. I tried them together, with slaw to make a sandwich.

Here are the pinned images I used:



I also used Bobby Flay's Creamy Coleslaw recipe (not from a pin).

The yeast rolls came together easily in the mixer, a great recipe if you have a small "helper". I made a half recipe - we don't eat much white bread-type stuff, so I knew a whole recipe would go to waste. Due to all the enthusiastic "helping," my rolls were unevenly sized.



The brisket was a very easy crock pot recipe, just put a spice rub on the meat, throw it all in there and cook. This is how it looked right when I took it out.


The ingredients for the sandwiches:


And the finished product:


These were a HUGE hit.

The rolls are light and soft. Probably too cake-y for my taste most of the time, but great in this particular sandwich. And you can't beat it for only taking 30 min. If I make them again, I may do a punch-down-and-second-rise to get them a little bread-ier/chewier.

The brisket is delicious. I think the liquid smoke really makes it. It wasn't something I had on hand, but I wouldn't skip it. Often crock pot recipes are bland and mushy, but this dish is really well-suited to slow cooking. With a little hot sauce, it was divine.

The coleslaw was yummy too. Usually I do vinaigrette dressing for coleslaw rather than mayo-based, but you have to have the mayo kind for brisket sandwiches. I followed the recipe as written, except I used a teaspoon instead of a tablespoon of dried mustard (was that a typo? a tablespoon of dried mustard?).

The verdict: YUM. Good enough for company, for sure. Must have beer to accompany.

No comments:

Post a Comment