Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Ratatouille

I was a little hesitant to make this ratatouille recipe from The Comfort of Cooking. Veggie dishes for dinner sometimes get an "I'm still hungry!" around here. Also, watery veggies like eggplant and zucchini can make for an insipid dish if they're not cooked right. But I couldn't resist the beautiful pic.


I couldn't find my 9 x 13 baking dish, so I used a dutch oven. Other than that, I followed the recipe. It's super easy, you basically just layer thinly-sliced veggies in a tomato sauce and bake.

Before cooking, it looked like this:


Not quite as gorgeous as the blog. Of course. After cooking, and served with whole wheat pearl couscous:


At this point I was pretty worried that it might just be bland veggie mush.

Roasty tomatoes and herbs to the rescue! It was very tasty. The thyme, oregano, and red pepper really added flavor, and the tomatoes took on a nice, acidic, roasted taste. The guys loved it, and didn't seem to miss the meat.

Verdict: Delicious, and very easy! This one is going into rotation, for sure. It could also be a nice meal for company if you need a vegan/vegetarian option.

No comments:

Post a Comment