Monday, November 12, 2012

Avalanche (Mudslide?) Bars

Cookies and Cups has a recipe for no-bake Avalanche Bars that's from 2010 but has been pinned a bunch recently.



It's pretty simple: melt white chocolate chips with peanut butter, stir in rice crispies, marshmallows, and some regular chocolate mini-chips, press into a pan. Cool them, then cut and eat.

We're temporarily dairy-free, so I swapped out the white chocolate chips and mini-chips for these:



I think you could use any kind of semi-sweet to sweet chocolate or peanut butter chip.

The recipe came together really quickly. The entire process took about 15 minutes. I didn't mess around with 50% power on the microwave to melt the chips, just used 30 second increments. This is what it looked like after all the ingredients were added:


It didn't need to cool for long. 20 minutes and it was pretty set. The bars were absolutely delicious. They have a light, airy texture and intense chocolate taste.

The recipe says to avoid pressing down too hard when you put them in the pan, in case they get hard. I put a lightly greased sheet of tin foil on top and pressed gently. I think I'll press harder next time, they were almost too delicate and fell apart easily.


Verdict: Insanely delicious. 36 hours later and my husband and I had eaten the whole batch (slightly embarrassing). These are the rare dairy-free treat that's actually good in its own right, and not just "not bad for non-dairy."

No comments:

Post a Comment