Thursday, November 8, 2012

Prawn Dumpling Soup

This prawn dumpling soup looked gorgeous in the picture (Cook [Almost] Anything At Least Once):

The technique seemed easy enough - chop up some ingredients, puree most of it and leave the rest chunky, wrap in pre-made wonton wrappers, simmer in seasoned chicken broth.

My concern was the wonton wrappers, which I've never used before (the instructions on the blog made no sense to me). Mine came out looking like this, which doesn't seem exactly right:


The recipe didn't give amounts for the chicken stock. I didn't have chicken stock, so I used 3 cups of chicken broth, and 1 cup of shrimp stock I happened to have in the freezer. I added two pieces of lemongrass (each about 4 inches long and cut in half the long way), 4 thin slices of ginger, and the sliced green parts of a green onion. It looked like this:


 I think it needs more broth. I'd say 5-6 cups overall, the dumplings were too crowded in there.

As for flavor, it tasted pretty darn good! My 3-year-old said "YUM!" and my husband said "You made these dumplings?" He thought the broth tasted a bit "medicinal" so I'd cut down on the lemongrass next time. The dumplings were also a tiny bit too doughy. It might have been my wrapping technique, or the fact that I stuck them in the fridge for 1/2 hour before cooking. Also, my version doesn't have the rich color of the original.

Overall, though, I'm going to declare victory and move on.



Verdict: Delicious, though maybe you need to follow the recipe more exactly to get it to look like the picture. Or just play with the settings in Photoshop.


No comments:

Post a Comment