Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Roasted Cabbage

The pin for this roasted cabbage recipe from Martha Stewart came with the standard fawning caption "So addicting! Like crack! OMG!" or whatever. *eyeroll*

Like a sucker, I fell for it. Here's an original image:


I roasted the cabbage at 400 degrees, but by the recommended 40 minutes, mine looked like this:

And even overdone like that, the center part was still hard and a tad undercooked. Maybe a lower temp would work better? But you'd have to get it just right to still get the browning effect.

As for the flavor, I used salt, pepper, and cracked fennel seeds for seasoning, and I loved it. I thought they were delicious.

However, my husband and almost-3-year-old (both of whom will generally eat ANYTHING) each took one bite and pushed the rest to the side of the plate.

If you're keeping score at home, that's two of three non-picky eaters who thought this tasted bland, greasy, and just blah.

Verdict: Not a crowd-pleaser. 

No comments:

Post a Comment