Monday, November 5, 2012

Roasted Grape, Goat Cheese and Honey Sweet Potatoes

 This recipe is originally from  How Sweet It Is, a blog with lovely, delicious-looking pictures and well-explained recipes.

This is one of the original pics:



I usually make sweet potatoes by microwaving, then adding butter and cinnamon sugar. Not terribly healthy, but pretty good. I thought this recipe might be a little something different.

I started by roasting the grapes,  350 degrees for 45 minutes. This was the result:


Carbonization! Someday, someone will be able to radiocarbon date these. OK, tried again, this time for 35 minutes. Success.

The recipe called for baking the sweet potatoes, but I microwaved them. After the grape debacle, my after-work dinner prep time was nearly up.

Followed the rest of the recipe as written, except that I didn't save out any goat cheese or honey for garnish - I just mixed it all in. Garnish is not a weeknight family thing, as far as I'm concerned. If they want garnish, they can take me out to dinner.

So, they came out looking edible, though not as GORGEOUS as the ones on the blog.



I know the pictures are ugly, but I want to show how it might look in your actual kitchen, not some magical place you can get to with an expensive digital SLR camera and food-staging expertise.

The taste, however, was just OK, the goat cheese added a nice tang. The texture was the big problem. It was like eating caulk. Maybe it was because I microwaved it, or maybe I stirred everything in too vigorously.

Verdict: This recipe is finicky at best. For the average home cook, I'd look for something else to change up your sweet potato routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment